Monday, July 21, 2014

Heh heh, don't freak out

Another week in paradise. Haha. Actually this week it was freezing cold. As in it was probably in the 50's. That is 10 degrees Celsius. HOLY CRUD, THIS CAN'T BE FIJI. I'm worried about going back to school and the snow. I will most likely die. AH. 
Um what else. We postponed Kelera's baptismal date for this reason: her husband is coming back from Syria on August 20th. And she wants him to be there. SO that is a noble reason, we believe in families, we encourage unity and trust, we are ok with this. Then there is the issue of their 17-year-old son, Seru. He is way more into texting and playing rugby than just about anything else, so it is hard to get him to sit down and listen to us. But we're hoping for the whole family to take the lessons and get baptized. Hopefully it'll all go down before I die (mom's note: when a missionary goes home, they call that "dying"). That would make me super happy. 
When it comes to the Ali family, sa toso vamalua. Moving slowly. We weren't actually able to sit down and meet with them this week. But Sister Ali came to church on Sunday. We had a rocking awesome Gospel Principles lesson about how Jesus Christ was foreordained to be our Savior, and I was mad that Brother Ali wasn't there. Gosh dang it. But you know what I realized? I love teaching. I love teaching Gospel Principles. I love teaching Relief Society. I love teaching the Youth class. I love teaching Primary. I love it. Here in Fiji the missionaries get to do it all from time to time, because of a missing teacher here and there. I really love it. I love teaching investigators. So I really decided now. I want to be a teacher. A high school history teacher. It just feels right. I actually had been praying about what I should do with my schooling, what I should major in, which direction I should go. And I think I received my answer by this realization, of how much I enjoy teaching. Of how much joy I get from it. So. There's that. But anyway, the Ali family. We are going to try and invite them to be baptized this Thursday. We will! We will. 
On another note, we found a very very less active. He got baptized in 1994, just a few months after I was born haha. He's pretty much been less active since then. But we were visiting with him and he shared with us the sad story of his health problems. He's slowly been going blind, though surgeries have slowed the process enough that he can make due with glasses (for now). Also, he has a really uncomfortable and painful skin condition. He says that he blamed God for a long time. But now he realizes that God is the one that has been keeping him alive and sane. He asked us to give him a blessing haha but obviously we couldn't. So the next time we brought Bishop. And I talked about Job, about how sometimes the Lord gives us these difficulties, or at least allows these difficulties to occur, to test us. It isn't because God hates us. It isn't because God has forgotten about us. It isn't even because we did something wrong. It's to see how we will react, how we'll take it. As one of my Book of Mormon teachers back at the Y once said, "A trial is an invitation to become more like God or more like the devil." Amen to that. Our lives are made up of a series of choices, but all of the important choices basically boil down to choosing between Jesus and Satan, Love and Hate, Freedom and Captivity, Light and Darkness. Be like Job. Choose to be patient. Choose to have complete control over your own self, over your own destiny. Decisions determine destiny. Amen to that. Then Bishop shared about the Holy Ghost, about how you can receive guidance through life's difficulties as well as comfort from him. Can I get another amen. Then he gave the guy a blessing. And it was incredible. In the blessing he felt prompted to tell this guy that if he were to get his life in order, receive the Aaronic and Melchizedek priesthoods, and go through the temple, then his medical issues would ultimately be solved. That he would be guided to the right doctors, that the doctors would be able to find the right medications. The Spirit was strong, and confirmed that what he had said was true. What an awesome experience. I have so much respect and love for the priesthood on this earth. I really really do. Anyway, this less-active guy said that he was going to ask his boss to give him time off on Sundays so that he can go back to church. And we are going to re-teach him the lessons (hopefully his other family members will sit in and enjoy the experience and GET BAPTIZED haha). I'm excited about that because when he was taught the first time, it was the discussions, the memorized rote version of the gospel. Now we don't recite anything except a scripture here or there. Now we follow the direction of the Spirit. I'm happy that he gets to experience that. I personally love it. It's one of the reasons that I love teaching so much--the Spirit that is always there to testify of truth. As long as we are obedient and worthy of it haha. 
Oh and yeah. On Saturday I got bit by a dog. 
HAHA.
Not a serious bite. The dog didn't maul me. But I had to go to the hospital and now I'm on antibiotics. It's a good thing that I got all my injections before I came on the mission, because the tetanus shots here leave a cute little scar the size of a dime. But it's ok! 
Also, it was my fault. I was petting one of the puppies and the mama dog snuck up from behind me and attached herself to my ankle. Just sunk her teeth right in there. And she didn't even warn me, no bark or nothing. Haha missionary life. BUT ALL'S WELL. I am still proselyting and in fact I am using it as a conversation piece. How creative am I. 
Anyway this is actually really ironic because I am usually the one that defends my companions from dogs. There are a million just roaming the streets of Fiji, and Polynesians are generally terrified of them. So usually I ward them off with a stick or I pretend to pick up a rock and throw it at them, which usually sends them scooting. But this time the dog knew how savvy I was and snuck up from behind me. I'm honestly embarrassed. But at least my companion is still dog-bite-free. It means I am doing my job. 
And she is doing well. I've stopped worrying as much about how much she progresses, and what do you know she's been progressing. So. We're both happier. 
This email is too long. 
I LOVE YOUS. 
Lolomaz, 
Sista Donu

No comments: