Sunday, February 23, 2014

Do your duty with a heart full of song...

Well hello! :) Guess what, I had a great week! I think some people have been praying for me, or something, I don't know...
Haha! :) 
First little miracle I would like to talk about: My hand started to heal right away! I put nothing on it, I just soaked it in ice water throughout my studies that day, and guess what it only hurt for about three hours! It was a gnarly burn, that's a big deal! I'm excited about it though, because this is the first wound I have received on the mission that will most assuredly scar. So when people ask me where I got that scar, I'll reply Fiji! That's where I got it. Haha. 
Second miracle: Sister Eneri and I are about as close as can be. Monday night we had a good long talk that got pretty deep. I had to be a bit bold with her. Let me tell you something about her: She has crippling social anxiety. Kind of like me, before the mission. Can't talk on the phone. Can't talk to people, period. Partially because she feels self conscious about her English. Or at least, that's how it was at the beginning. She has changed. She is doing great during lessons, and we are working in much more unity than before. However, she still cannot talk to the other missionaries. Total social anxiety in that department. Good thing she has me as her companion, because I had to work through that as well. So I can relate and sympathize and what not. Anyway, during this talk I basically said what mom and dad have always said to me, buck up. You're a big girl, you can do this. God is on your side. She needed some alone time after that, but instead of getting upset, she started to change! And we started to talk to each other like we were real sisters, and apparently I now know her better than anyone. It's a blessing. 
Third: We worked really hard this week. We did not get a billion lessons, just 16. But that's because I am honest about how I count lessons. Some missionaries count every meeting they possibly can as a lesson. Me, I go by the book. A lessons starts and ends with a prayer, is with an investigator, recent convert or less active, and is religious in content. So a few meetings that could have been lessons were not counted because they did not start with a prayer. That's called honesty. But I digress. We worked hard and we were happy and we walked a thousand miles and contacted a billion people. Let me just talk for a second about contacting. I can contact the heck out of someone. Fijian, English, doesn't matter. (Just the fact that I am a palagi speaking Fijian gets me into SO many homes.) But I have found that maybe I do too much contacting...it is possible to have too many people to see! We have trouble focusing on certain investigators because there are just too many! Wow Sister Wright, what's wrong with you, complaining about having too many investigators. Well that's just it, they aren't all investigators of the church as much as they are investigators of Sister Wright. Poses a problem. So right now we are in the process of weeding out the ones that won't progress. And strengthening the ones that are progressing. It's great fun :) I love missionary work. I love my companion. I love the Lord. 
Fourth: Some cool experiences we had this week! We were walking down the street waving at people and saying bula like usual, when one girl across the street gave us a huge grin and a massive wave, more enthusiastic than most. We grin back and keep going, but then I stop and ask Sister Eneri, "You feel that?" "What?" "We need to go back and talk to her." "Yep, let's go." So we go and she invites us in and we talk to the family. Up on the wall they have a picture of their Samoan cousin, who is currently a missionary in the Marshall Islands. Sweet! We have a short lesson, set a return appointment, then turn to leave. As we are walking back towards the road, Sera, the big grin girl, stops us. She is crying. She tells us that she had been praying for something to happen that would change her life. She said when she saw us, she knew we were the answer to her prayer, but she didn't have the courage to run out and stop us. The fact that we stopped and walked towards her only further confirmed her feeling about us. She said that as we talked about our message of peace and hope and repentance, she could feel different in some way. Happier. We explained that this was the Holy Ghost. As we walked away we were high fiving each other like nobody's business. Haha.
Another one! I woke up on Thursday feeling like man I'm not a good missionary. It's been a long time since there's been a baptism around here. What am I doing wrong. I was wracking my brains and praying my guts out as we walked the two or so miles to our service that day (we do service on Thursday mornings from 8-11). Then we got to the home of some investigators of ours. They had cleaned before we showed up, darn it, so there wasn't much for us to do. (A sign of respect and reverence. They don't want us to actually have to work.) We picked up leaves and sticks and stuff. Their two little kids were helping us, well one was actually making our job harder, the little punk. And then he just starts peeing on Sister Eneri! Hahahahahahahahaha I just bust up laughing! She, of course, was not happy about it, but managed to laugh as well. After we did some service we sat down on their kitchen floor and just talanoa'd (talked) with the mama for an hour about Christianity in general. We drank Tang and ate coconut cookies (Fine Fare, for those of you that have been to Fiji). And it just hit me, how lucky am I. How blessed am I, to be in Fiji, sitting drinking juice and eating coconut cookies with a Fijian in Fiji, sharing the gospel, living the life. And I was happy. As we went to leave, the grandma came to us with a pillow each. Payment! No we don't accept payment. We made these pillows especially for you! Aw man....I wanted to cry. Homemade pillows. I was so happy. As we were walking back to the flat, pillows in hand, a man called to us from across the street and said hey, come share the gospel to this kid! He was referring to an Indian boy beside him. So we went and contacted both of them. And we found out that the man was named Henry and that he was Seventh Day Adventist and about the friendliest guy around. And that he needed help in his yard. So we helped him. And he gave us the most massive avocados I have ever seen in my life. I was just so happy that day. It was a really good day. 
I am a fan of counting blessings. That is what I have been doing this week. And it was just about the best week of the mission. Not anything major happened, but I was happy, my companion was happy, and I think the Lord was as well.
:)
A couple nights ago we went to a member's home for dinner. It is a small home with a dirt floor covered with woven mats. A tin home. There was no light, so I held a flashlight while the mother prepared our food. The children were wearing clothes too big or too small or not much clothing because it was hot as hades, even at night time. Before we ate, I broke out the old hymn book and we all sang hymn after hymn after hymn together. It wasn't the prettiest choir I had ever heard, but it was the most beautiful. The mother is the stalwart one in the family, a convert. The father is extremely less active. Nonetheless, the mother is raising her four boys and one girl to all be missionaries. She works in the day and then also in the night, and is exhausted all the time, all because the father is currently out of work. She is an incredible woman. My soul was nourished as well as my body as I sat on the floor with that sweet family. One of the sons wants to be an aircraft engineer. The other wants to be a meteorologist. And they are smart. I know they can do it. I love Fiji. I am so grateful to be here, to be able to meet people like this. I am so blessed. So fortunate. 
We have a baptism coming up! Mosa. The son of the second counselor in the bishopric. We want to teach his grandpa. Can you pray for Mosa's grandpa? His name is Peni. He needs his heart to be softened. I believe in miracles!!
I love the Book of Mormon. It has changed my life this week.
THANK YOU to everyone that emailed me this week. So much motivation and love. I love you people. I don't have time to reply to all of them. Forgive me. Shoutout to Kelsey Bingham, who may or may not have already entered the MTC this week! I love that girl with my whole soul, and I know she'll be a good missionary. 
AGH and Adam Wright. Santa Claus is real. 
LOVE SISTA WRIGHT

No comments: