Sunday, January 5, 2014

Love from Fiji

 Megan sent us a package for Christmas.  Sulus for the guys, a muumuu for Sophie, and a sulu for me too.  And lots of jewelry.  She put a lot of love in that little package.  So we decided to put it all on and wear it to church!  And then we took these pictures and sent them to Meg...
 Chad and Adam thought it would be fun to send this pic to Meg…she was MORTIFIED when she saw the dress socks and shoes…but no, they wore sandals.
Here are some things she said about the package and pictures:

I HOPE YOU DIDN'T WEAR THOSE SOCKS AND SHOES HAHAHAHAHAHAHA 
wooooow you people look so good!
Sophie, the brown wooden-looking thing on the print on your dress is a tabua (tamboo-a). It is a whale's tooth, and it is what a man will give to the father of the girl he wants to marry. 
You trade a whale's tooth for her hand in marriage.
Please tell me you didn't wear those shoes to church
How about those ties?? The most hideous ones I could find…hahahahahahaha.  They cost 50 cents!
those necklaces are carved out of whale tooth. It's a Maori necklace of protection haha.

Bula vinaka, na ganequ kei na taciqu. Au lomani kemuni. I hope you all had a very Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
Super sorry for not emailing last week. I told my District Leader to email y'all and let you know my circumstances: my comp has been really sick lately, and at the time had been dead in bed for three days. Impossible to go to town and email. Impossible to go anywhere. It was rough. My brain started to do weird stuff from all the alone time that I had. But at the same time, I also had some pretty spiritual experiences that helped me to grow even closer to my Father in Heaven. This just keeps happening, doesn't it? Hahaha. Gotta love the mission. But anyway, the reason that she was sick is still a mystery. Maybe a parasite, maybe a bacterial infection. Either way, her stomach was in constant distress. Running to the bathroom. Fun fun. But it happened right after Christmas. On Christmas we had a District Meeting that President Klingler attended. It was a memorable one. Sister Kumar and I planned a little after party with gifts and brownies and party hats. Yes we are awesome. Then for dinner that night we had lovo at a member's house. You know, where they dig a pit in the ground and put piping hot rocks and banana leaves and then dalo (taro), cassava, chicken, pork, etc, and then steam it for a couple hours. A common treat for various special occasions. Yum. But Sister Kumar caught something from it. And it hit her hard. I don't know what it is, I can eat anything and I don't even get the runs. Stomach of steel, over here. She's from Fiji and she still reacted very badly to the food. She hasn't eaten much since then. I have to watch her to make sure she doesn't starve to death. Small bites here and there. We had to go to some doctor, an Asian lady, who was about the most condescending and rude person I have met since I came to Fiji. She would use these big words and then ask Sister Kumar if she knew what they meant, and when she didn't she would roll her eyes and then use baby talk with her. I wanted to smack the woman, because I understood her perfectly and probably have a more advanced vocabulary than the people who taught her, but we are missionaries. Decorum at all times. 
But anyway, the Lord loves to test us. He loves to test my patience. In so many different ways. First with companionship difficulties, then sickness, then confidence issues, then discouragement, then a drought in the work, now what? I don't know but like the Penguins off of Madagascar, I just smile and wave boys, smile and wave. 
I love you people. You look fabulous in your Fiji-wear. Thank you for the phone call. It did wonders for my moral.
To all those out there that read these things that are currently going through hard times: Don't give up. Turn to your Savior. How do you do that? You pray. You search the scriptures. You listen to the voice of the prophet. You seek for the companionship of the Holy Ghost. You go out and serve others. You put aside the follies of your youth, you reject the things of this world, you forgive past grievances, and seek forgiveness for your own mistakes. You do not wallow. Never wallow. Get up and keep moving forward. And above all, doubt your doubts before you doubt your faith. Faith will be the life-preserver that gets you through these waters. Joseph Smith said, "Deep water is what I am wont to swim in." Someone else said, "God leads us to deep waters, not to drown us, but to cleanse us."

LAST OF ALL HAPPY BIRTHDAY TO MY GRANDMA T! Always remember to drink plenty water, my grandma <3 
I love you people. 
Loloma vakalevu,
Sister Wright

No comments: