Sunday, January 19, 2014

First week as a trainer

Bula vinaka, noqu matavuvale kei itokani. Vakacava tiko? I miss you all so much and love you beyond all reason.
One thing that I want to fix from what I said in my last email. I am definitely not the best sister when it comes to the language. The reason I said I was better than most was because so many of them don't even try to learn it. But out of those who do try to learn it, I am still lacking. My Fijian is getting better but it is coming slowly. However, it is improving, and I have had Fijians tell me that I sound like a Fijian, which of course makes me feel happy. I love to speak it. I love to listen to it. Wow has my attitude changed regarding na vosa vakaviti since I started my mission. Haha it's pretty amazing. I believe in the gift of tongues. 
Anyway, Hello! I am training! It is not easy! You have to remember so many things at once! You have to know where to go and what to do at every hour of the day! And the numbers are all on you! Holy heck it is stressful, but we have fun with it. It's not as stressful as being companions with my previous companion was. I lost weight because of the stress. I just didn't want to eat. Since my little baby greenie daughter came, I feel like all I have been doing is eating. She doesn't really know how to cook, so I have just been cooking every day. Because I love to cook for people. Newfound love. And what have I cooked for her? Egg and tuna curry. Banana pancakes. Chocolate banana pancakes (those were lovely to look at HA). French toast. Fried rice. Look at me, I am getting all domestic. It's fantastic.
Ok so about my greenie. Her name is Sister Eneri. It is pronounced Enedy, as in it rhymes with the first name of my dear friend Sister Jenedy Eggleston (shoutout to that lovely lady. Sorry I haven't written you any letters. Just know that you have had a profound influence on my life and on my decision to go on a mission. God bless you.) The reason why it is pronounced thus is because she is from Kiribati (pronounced Kidibus). She is awesome and I love her. We both believe that as missionaries, we need to be obedient, but we also need to have fun. So. We laugh a lot. It's great :) 
Training itself, there is a program that we use. The 12 Week Training program. If it is done correctly, the greenie should be able to train their own greenie at the end of 12 weeks. We are given a schedule that we need to follow, a book with all these trainings in it, and a bunch of training DVDs. I'm a big fan of it. This past week I tried not to kill her. We went slower than Sister Kumar and I were going (the week before Sister Kumar left we managed to get 32 lessons, this week we only got 15. Cut in half, but that's ok), but it was still exhausting for my sweet Sister E. We climb a lot of hills. Also we cross through jungle and over log bridges and sometimes just hop on rocks to cross streams. Takes some getting used to. 
Her first day proselyting, I assigned her to learn the baptismal invitation in Fijian. She invited our golden investigator, Mosa, to be baptized in March. He said yes. It was a good experience for her. I was glad she could do it. Then when we were walking to another appointment, we both were hungry. We stopped for a second so that I could text the Zone Leaders about a referral, and randomly some Fijian lady that we had never talked to said, "Mai, Sistas! Na uca sa voleka mai!" (Come, Sisters, the rain is close!) So we went in and we chatted with her. She was a Seventh Day Adventist lady, super nice. I played the guitar a little bit for her little grandkids, and in exchange she gave us pumpkin curry and roti. Heck yes. We ate well. The Lord provides. 
Another thing. This Sunday we went and proselyted with our Ward Mission leader and his wife, who was just recently baptized. Up until now, we had not been working with him. My previous companion just straight up refused to work with him because of some drama that had gone down before I showed up in the area. Slowed down the work. Also, he did not trust us anymore. But together, me and Sister E were able to regain his trust. We are eating at their house tonight. YEAH. Planning a missionary fireside for this Friday and a Ward Harvest for this Sunday. YEAH. Teaching tons of new investigators. YEAH. Dropping investigators that are not progressing. YEAH. (Sad, but you have no idea how frustrating it can be when they refuse to keep commitments. Dropping is a bittersweet experience.) Basically, stuff is going well. 
I love being a missionary. I love being a trainer. I love the Lord. I love the scriptures. I just finished the Book of Mormon for the second time on the mission. Such an amazing experience. And now we are all starting a Book of Mormon read as a mission. A ten week Book of Mormon read, with our focus being the Savior. We are to highlight every time He is mentioned. I am so excited. We just started today and I am already seeing how my perspective of the book is changing. It is my favorite book. Of all time. I love it. Everyone read it. Amen. 
Hmm. What else can I say. I am brown now, my farmer tan is impressive. The elders have said so, after seeing the skin behind my watch. It is as white as the driven snow. Um. 
I miss you people. Guess what, I'm almost halfway done. One more month and it'll be a downhill slide. Which means it will go fast. Oy. It's gone fast enough as it is. So crazy. 
Happy birthday to everyone whose birthdays I have forgotten. 
Loloma levu,
Sister Wright

1 comment:

jenedypaige said...

Love you sista Wright and I'm so proud of you! I still remember a beehive lesson we had about the Abrahamic covenant and how it was our responsibility to share the gospel. The spirit was so strong and we ended the class by singing "We'll bring the World His Truth" acapella. I knew then you would be a great missionary. Keep up the good work! You are my shining star!