Sunday, November 24, 2013

Transfer

I got transferred. At the worst possible time. Because the temple trip was on Tuesday and Zone Conference was on Thursday and Ilivasi's baptism was on Saturday. I cared a lot more than I thought I would. I kept saying that I was ready to leave Suva, six months was way too long to be there, but now I realize that it had become my home. It really had. And the people there had become my family. I had worked hard there, and the fruits of my efforts were barely starting to show. And man, me and Sister Aoina had become like real sisters. We got along so well. We cared for each other and taught so well together and had learned so much from our time as companions. 
But I get the way the Lord works. When things are finally starting to go your way, that's when He turns everything upside down. That's when He pulls the rug out from under you.
So now I am in Lautoka. It is a beautiful place that greatly reminds me of California. There are seriously streets that would fit right into a neighborhood in Simi Valley. And it is HOT. They don't call it the burning West for nothing. It is summer now. And it's only going to get hotter haha. I got here just in time for cyclone season (aka hurricane season). It is indeed a seasonal thing, so we are well prepared around here. Don't worry, it won't end up like the Philippines. But yeah, Lautoka is definitely prettier than Suva, though I love Suva dearly.
The people here! They are so nice. I love them. I have so enjoyed getting to know them. Sister Aoina served here a while back and I can talk to them about her. They loved her and they love to hear about where she is now. I speak a lot more Fijian here, but not because I have been forced to. The ward is an English ward and all, but suddenly I just feel so much more confident. My companion is Indian and knows just about zero Fijian, so maybe that's why I feel more confident. I have been talking to people in Fijian and teaching a bit in Fijian and I realize that I have been learning the language all along. The only issue is, now I feel that I need to learn Hindi. Because my companion even talks to the Fijians in Hindi.  But I know that with the Lord's help, I can do it.

I have done a lot of praying and a lot of thinking and studying the scriptures. The other day I received some great comfort from the Lord in the form of Alma 38. In it, Alma is talking to his son Shiblon. I have always been struck by how short this chapter is compared to the chapters that were written for his other sons. Shiblon was a good boy. He had been a good missionary. Why is it that his father did not have much to say to him? Well, I was reading it the other day, and even though it was short, it was exactly what I needed to hear. Through it the Lord told me that He accepted my service. Through it He told me that he was aware of my trials, and "insomuch as ye shall put your trust in God even so much ye shall be delivered out of your trials and your troubles and your afflictions, and ye shall be lifted up at the last day. As ye have begun to teach the word even so I would that ye should continue to teach; and I would that ye would be diligent and temperate in all things." So I will keep moving forward. One thing we really do is work hard. I can do that. President Hinckley said, "Do you want to be happy? Forget yourself and get lost in this great cause." So I am getting lost in this great cause!

I miss you people. Since things are different now, I don't know how mail will work. I don't know how Skyping will work at Christmas time. Prepare yourselves for disappointment, haha!
I am afraid that I won't be able to mail your Christmas package/Sophie's birthday gift home. I am just going to hold on to it until things have changed around here and I feel more comfortable. 
Also I don't know about chatting anymore. But try anyway. 
I love you all beyond reason. 
Take care of each other!
Love Sista Wright

No comments: