Sunday, October 13, 2013

Same area, new companion!


So this week we started really teaching Ilivasi, the brother of a
recent convert named Sesilia. He is amazing. He already knew most of
what we had to say. He told US the First Vision (or a paraphrased
version of it). The only question that he had was how can we know that
we are feeling the Holy Ghost? Luckily, we had three YSA's with us,
and we went around the room and shared experiences where we had felt
the Holy Ghost. Then we shared from Galatians 5:22-23, about the
fruits of the Spirit. After that, we invited him to be baptized, and
gave him the date. He said that he would pray about it, and let us
know. This weekend he went to Priesthood session of General
Conference, and the two sessions on Sunday. Afterwards, he told us
that he had gotten his answer. Sesilia is walking on air. She is so
happy.

While all of this was going on, we got a call from the Zone Leaders.
They told us that Sister Bechu was getting transferred to Somosomo,
Taveuni. (The place that I so desperately wanted to go when I first
got to Fiji.) And that was all the information that we received. They
didn't tell us when, they didn't tell us who was replacing her,
nothing. I was confused, and she was devastated. It is funny, because
for the longest time she would talk about wanting to be transferred,
wanting to get out of Suva, but now that she was actually leaving, she
realized just how much she loved this place. I have a strong belief
that transfers never happen when you want them to. They only happen
when everything has started to get good. This is because the Lord
sends you places to learn something, and it only starts to get good
when that lesson has been learned. We had started getting close. The
work had begun to pick up speed. And so things needed to be shaken up
a bit. This weekend was a time of tears for Sister Bechu and for all
the members and investigators that she had grown so close to. I will
admit, I doubt that anyone would be so upset to see me go. She is
precious to these people. Then, on Sunday at the chapel, we ran into
our District Leader and asked him what the plan was. He said he didn't
know, the Zone Leaders hadn't really told him anything. So that night
we assumed that she would be leaving in a few days, that she would
have time to prepare herself for the journey. No. The Zone Leaders
called at 11:30 Sunday night and told us that the AP's would be coming
to get her in three hours. 2:30 in the morning. So a packing frenzy
began. It didn't help that she could only bring 15 kg of weight in her
suitcase. And we had no scale. Pretty soon I fell asleep, and suddenly
I woke up to someone shouting, "Sisters!" The AP's were there! We
hadn't heard the phone ring! We hadn't heard our alarm! I looked at
Sister Bechu's things, and they weren't even all packed yet. She had
fallen asleep in the middle of packing. And now it was 3:00. The AP's
had been calling for half an hour. Finally they decided that they
needed to take action, so they broke into our flat. They opened the
window next to our door and turned the key that we had fortunately
left in the doorknob (from now on I'm locking that window and never
leaving that key in the doorknob again). And then they shouted. And we
woke up. And there was another packing frenzy. The flat was turned
upside down. And there were quite a few things that were left behind,
things that I am now responsible for giving to various people that I
can't even completely remember. We got in the van and Elder Palmer
drove like a madman, with his hazard lights on because apparently that
gave him an excuse to speed. Every time we went around a roundabout I
thought about The Man Who Knew Too Little. "Clench your buttocks!" We
traveled what should have taken an hour in about twenty minutes, and
the plane had not left yet. They weighed her bag, and it was exactly
15 kg. I believe in miracles. Sister Bechu shook my hand firmly and she
was off. And I got dropped off at the Suva 3rd sisters flat at 4:30 in
the morning. Sister Tuahivaatetonohiti and Sister Aso are the sisters
there. I will be spending the day with them until my new companion,
Sister Aoina (pronounced Aweena)(I know dad will like that name)
arrives later in the afternoon.

Now things are going to change. And I am a little scared, but also a
little excited. I have a feeling that the work will start to pick up.
I have a feeling that Sister Aoina and I will get along just fine,
because she is musical. And she has been companions with Sister
Trammell for the past three months, which must have changed her for
the better. Because Sister Trammell is the bomb.

My prediction: we will be companions until November, when the new
intake comes in.
Totally forgot to talk about conference. I loved it. The entire thing.
It is amazing how being on a mission makes you appreciate it so much
more. And now that I have been studying the scriptures so much more
thoroughly, I recognized every scripture reference. And of course, the
favorite was Elder Holland. As usual. He basically speaks directly to
our family every time, doesn't he? I also really enjoyed Elder
Nelson's, and Elder Bednar's was so straightforward when it comes to
tithing. Really they were all amazing, and so relevant to the issues
of today. I hope that everyone heard how much they emphasized
missionary work. I hope that everyone back home will take it
seriously. I hope that everyone here in Fiji will as well. Because we
need the help of the members. And we have all been called to the work.

I love you people!
Kalougata tiko,
Sister Wright

No comments: