Sunday, August 4, 2013

Typical week in the life of a missionary.


Hello my darlings. 

I got the Fedexed CD last week Monday after qito (play, pronounced gueeto. I played basketball with the rest of the zone. You think if I pray for height the Lord might actually listen, I mean now that I am a missionary?). So that means that Fedex is the way to go. PS, I am a fan of the CD (there's one that makes me cry every time without fail), but some of those songs are weird haha. Send me more! EFY stuff, soundtracks to movies like the RM and the Best Two Years, any song that talks about Jesus including Jesus Take the Wheel haha. 

This week was a typical week in the life of a missionary.  YesterdaySunday, was an interesting day. We got an investigator to go to church with us (the lovely Akosita) and afterwards we taught her about prayer. (Mostly I teach in English and Sister Bechu clarifies in Fijian) She said she loved going to church and expressed a desire to be baptized. HECK yeah. She is the one that we found that had already taken the lessons and had moved to Suva before she could get baptized. Praise the Lord for her, she makes us feel like we are real missionaries or something. But anyway, after that we went back to the flat and took a nap. Not even on purpose, we both fell asleep. It was well deserved. I realize that one of the reasons that we don't always get along is MAYBE because we are grumpy because we are tired. Makes total sense. So don't judge us for taking a nap. 

Pres. Gordon B. Hinckley said, "Do you want to be happy? Forget yourself and get lost in this great cause. Lend your efforts to helping people. Stand higher, lift those with feeble knees, hold up the arms of those that hang down. Live the gospel of Jesus Christ." And what I got from that was be busy, work work work. So that's what I did, but I wasn't happy. Because I wasn't helping everyone. So this is my goal. Time to make the most of my time here in Suva. Heck yes to the whole humility thing. I have been devouring the Book of Mormon lately (love that book, know it's true) and just about every other verse talks about humbling ourselves and turning to the Lord. The Lord has said that except we humble ourselves and become as little children, we can in nowise enter the Kingdom of God. And here I am inviting people to enter in. How can I do that, except I myself become humble? And so the Lord puts us through the refiners fire. It's just the drill. I should have known haha.

When it comes to the work, we are progressing. Not as quickly as I would like, but the work is different here. There are a couple of baptismal invitations that we will be extending very soon. I am so excited for these people. The other day, one of the recent converts that we visit told us that she was done with the church and that she wanted to say goodbye to us. On Sunday we went to her house and brought her to church. I did my best to talk her off the edge of the cliff. I told her that Satan works the hardest on the best people. It helped!  She came to church and she had an interview with the Bishop to begin work on her mission papers. She thanked us again and again for talking some sense into her, and for always being there for her.These are the times that fill me with joy. I love her. I will do my best to help her prepare for her mission. 

I love Fiji. I can say that now without any reservations. I know that this love will grow throughout my mission until it will be hard for me to leave. When that happens, I will know that I have served a good mission. 
Elder Holland said, "Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with...As one gifted writer has suggested, when the infinite fulness is poured forth, it is not the oil's fault if there is some loss because finite vessels can't quite contain it all. Those finite vessels include you and me, so be patient and kind and forgiving." I love Elder Holland. Lately I have become painfully aware of my own imperfections. I pray that the Lord will at least make me into a more worthy vessel, as I serve my companion and I serve the people of Fiji. 

Let me tell you something about mosquito bites. The first week I got here I had so many that it was like I had the chicken pox or something. And although they have not gotten worse, I am still constantly being bitten. Especially on my feet, which is the WORST PLACE for mosquito bites.  I am trying out some mosquito repellent, I'll let you know how it works, haha.

To everyone back home that has been emailing me and sending me snail mail, I thank you. Your words fill me with joy. I am sorry if I do not reply to everyone.  I don't have much time! Just know that you are all in my prayers. Just know that I love you all very much.
To mama and daddy: your 21st anniversary is this week. Something that I always pray for is that your marriage will continue to be strong and rewarding. I am so grateful for you both. You are such incredible examples to me. I hope someday to have that kind of relationship with my own husband. 

Love love love you all!
Sister Wright

No comments: