Sunday, July 21, 2013

What to do when you are discouraged

This has been a really rough week.  I thought I had worked things out with my companion last week but things got bad again this week.  She really hates being a trainer and it shows!  She doesn't teach me anything.  And then she gets mad at me when I don't know things.  I started praying hard for comfort and strength, and then we found out that we were going to do splits with the training sisters the next day.  I went with Sister Lavatai, and found that she was the answer to my prayers.  I poured out my heart to her and she gave me guidance.  She brought me back up again.  She told me that I am a great missionary and that she wishes we could serve together.  It made me feel so much better.  I know she was prompted to tell me those words - it was like Heavenly Father whispered to her exactly what I needed to hear.  We went out the next day and worked harder than I have ever worked before.  We saw new converts, investigators, and new contacts.  We were exhausted but very very happy.  I love Sister Lavatai, she is a great training sister!
Things haven't gotten any better with Sister Bechu but I am praying.  All day, every day, even while we are working, I am praying.  When I feel discouraged and homesick, I remember why I am here. I remember the blessings that my family is and will receive because I made the choice to go on this mission. I remember the souls out there that I have yet to find. This helps me keep going. 
Prayer has become my greatest comfort. The Lord has become my closest companion. He is the one I am the most familiar with in this foreign place. It is an amazing thing, and I will be forever grateful for prayer.

 This is the view from the temple.
 Sand and shells and badge.
My hair is downright curly. This was after church yesterday. I did nothing to it. Is it true that stress makes your hair go curly? I believe it. But it makes my life a lot easier. I don't have to do anything to it. God blesses His servants, haha!
About the language: it is really hard to learn a language in a place where everyone speaks English. I was thinking the other day about how, before the mission, my attitude was this: if I came home from Fiji and I didn't know the language, I'd be a failure. But now I am here, and I know a lot of sister missionaries that do not know the language. They are not failures. Our purpose is to invite others to come unto Christ. If we fulfill that, we are the opposite of failures. We are successful. It is true that learning the language is important, and I will continue to try. But if I never fully learn the language, I will not consider myself a failure. Thinking about that made me feel better. 
Right now I am working on translating the first chapter from the Book of Mormon into English. I am enjoying it, and it is helping me. But I still am uncomfortable teaching in Fijian. I will keep working on it.
I know that the Lord put me in this situation to help me grow. That is how He works. I am content with that, and proud that He trusts me with a challenge such as this. I hope that I will come out of it the way He means for me to, and that my companion will as well.

Oh, I found a dead rat outside our shower this morning. Sister Bechu squealed, but I was just glad that the poison finally worked. I swept it up into a dust bin and disposed of it. Not sure how many more are left, so I'll keep the poison out. Why am I the tough one? I thought I was supposed to be the wimpy palangi!  Haha, guess not!

I've got to go now.  I love you all so much.  Keep praying for me, I can feel those prayers!  God bless you all.
Sister Wright

No comments: