Thursday, July 4, 2013

Last week in the MTC: Get Me to Fiji!


Yadra vinaka, everyone! :))) THIS has been my LAST week at the MTC!!

First of all, remember our Mongolians? Hahaha they ended up not being ours. SUCH a funny situation. Their zone leaders hadn't been informed that they had arrived, so I guess we did them a favor by giving them the orientation. Otherwise they would have just been sitting in their classroom, twiddling their thumbs, not knowing what to do. We had to call our branch president to ask him who they belonged to, and he said no idea, but they are definitely not ours. It's sort of awkward seeing them around campus now. Hi, I was your sister training leader for two hours. Hahaha.

In a way, I am thankful that we had this mix-up, because it prepared us for THIS week of incoming missionaries. Holy cow, there are fifty new missionaries in our branch. That's a lot more than the eight Mongolians that we gave the orientation to last week. These missionaries are going to the Marshall Islands, Kiribati Islands (SP) (its a Micronesian country), Samoa, New Zealand, and Oklahoma City Marshallese speaking hahaha. Why there is a branch of Marshallese speakers in Oklahoma City, the world may never know. Seven of these missionaries are sisters. The branch president has already called a new sister training leader, who will be starting her duties on Sunday. (The Sunday that does not exist for those of us flying to Fiji, because we skip a day when we cross the international dateline. I guess I'll fast on the plane...) She's a total sweetheart; the calling suits her. 

So at the beginning of the week (for me that means Saturday, because Thursday, P-day, is my weekend), we did an activity where we shared a scripture that was special to us from the Book of Mormon, and then talked about why it was important to us, and what personal revelation we received while reading it. In Fijian. I had never tried to share an actual story from my life in Fijian before, and I was scared stiff. I was pretty sure I wouldn't be able to do it. But then it was my turn, and I shared Alma 32, and I related the trials that our family had gone through to the story of the people who were not welcome in their synagogue. We had been humbled, just as they had been. I talked about how, for me, the seed in the faith metaphor was really about forgiveness, and how I have been using the metaphor in my life to forgive the people that hurt me and my family. My Fijian may have been broken, but I was able to tell the story in a way that was understandable. I felt the Spirit so strongly. I knew that what I was saying was true, and that by sharing my story, the seed of forgiveness within me was growing. And I felt like I actually knew something about this language. Since then, I have felt more confidence when speaking Fijian. I'm able to piece sentences together with words that I've never used before. I guess my brain is storing more than I thought it was haha. I think I'll be ok when I get to Fiji. I testify that the gift of tongues is real! We were thinking about it, and concluded that if we had been taking Fijian as a high school class, it would have taken us a year to get to where we are now. And it's only been six weeks. AH it makes me so happy :) God is good, all the time. All the time, God is good :)

Today is the last P-day before we leave on Saturday. Our P-days in Fiji will almost for sure be on Monday. (Which stinks because that means we arrive on our P-day. Slightly lame.) I am SO READY to get out of here. Cabin fever to the max. But at the same time, it's daunting. My mission is about to start for real. The people that I am going to teach are for real. Luckily, the Fijian people are supposed to be the nicest and most patient on the planet. Thank goodness. Unluckily, they also feed their missionaries like nobody's business. And I don't know how much running I'll be doing in the 100 degree climate and 100% humidity. AH. 

Today is also the Fourth of July, which has always been a special family holiday. I remember last year, Adam and I ran a 5k and he won a watermelon. That was the first day that we were really a part of the Dos Vientos Ward and Newbury Park Stake. It was the beginning of a new era for our family. It was happy. I love that memory. I love all the Fourth of July memories. Going to New Harmony and participating in the parade was always a blast. I miss you, family. All of you. I'm sad we aren't spending this holiday together. BUT know that I will be thinking about you all when watching the fireworks tonight. YES you read that correctly, we missionaries get to watch the Stadium of Fire fireworks! Granted, it's from afar, but still! I'm so excited. I love fireworks. 

And to everyone out there reading this, I love you. Please send me letters. They motivate me like no other. 
I'm BEYOND excited to go to Fiji. It is going to be amazing. I am going to become a whole different person. I can already feel the changes.
GAH anticipation.
I LOVE YOU ALL AU SA LEVU LOMANI SARA GA KEDA :)))))))))))
Keep the faith, keep in touch, keep on keeping on <3
Sista Wright <3

 One is with my branch president and his wife, President and Sister Taylor. The other is with one of the counselors, Brother Muir. Brother Muir went to Fiji on his first mission, and just returned from a second mission with his wife in Fiji about three months ago. It was fun having him. 

 This is Brother and Sister Gines. Brother Gines was the first counselor in the branch presidency. They were my favorites; they have a special place in my heart. Wonderful, wonderful people :)
 This is my friend Elder Larson
 This is my friend Elder Stenquist. Both are for Kelsey's benefit. 
 Zone picture haha
 I tried to hold the temple up but it was a fail. Hahaha!
  We got photobombed by Sister Crowell and Sister Trammell (roommates) haha. 
 Some digging into our family tree on Grandma Wright's side. Look, it's Charlemagne. Apparently it's hard to find someone of European descent that ISN'T related to Charlemagne, but I don't care, I say it's real.
This is traced back to before Christ!

2 comments:

Kirsty Stalder said...

I cannot believe you are speaking the language already! Inspiring! Happy 4th to you and enjoy the fireworks!

Megan smith said...

I've reading your posts, Meg! Your excitement gets ME excited and strengthens my own testimony. Keep going girl!!!