Thursday, June 13, 2013

Week 2: Settling In


Alrighty, here's to another week in the MTC! 

A lot has happened. We have been teaching without notes in Fijian for the past week. It has strengthened my testimony of the gift of tongues, but it has also left me feeling discouraged at times. Let me tell you, having a companion that was able to pick the language up in a week has not been easy. She is so wonderful and I love her so much, but being human, I often seem to compare my progress to hers. And that's not being fair to myself! I realize that, and yet it keeps happening. One scripture that has helped me recently is Proverbs 3:5, "Trust in the Lord with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths." I read that the other day, and realized that I needed to cool it. The Lord knew what he was doing when he called me to Fiji, so I need to trust him. Just keep studying and the language will come. Ok! I'll work on it. Another tidbit that has helped me is a quote that I found in the margin of my scriptures: "Perfection isn't an event; it's a process." Amen to that. Fijian will come, though slower than I would like. I just need to be patient! 

Something else that happened since I last wrote:
There was an an elder in our district that I want to talk about. He was amazing. It was his second time coming to the MTC. He had gone home after two weeks the last time he had been at the MTC because of a small worthiness issue, and had spent nine months preparing to return. That in and of itself was bravery; going home and then coming back. Not very many have the strength to do so.
In addition to this being the second time he had entered the MTC, he was also having health problems. He suffered from terrible anxiety and had multiple stomach ulcers. Every night he was here, he threw up. And yet he came to class every day and participated with enthusiasm. We all loved him because he was very funny and he had a different kind of insight, having been to the MTC before the age-change announcement. But last Friday, he announced to us all that he was going home. He said that coming back to the MTC was the hardest thing he had ever done, but that leaving was even harder. He had worked so hard to come back, but his body did not have the strength to carry on. Apparently his doctor and the MTC mission president had been telling him that he should go home for a few days, but he had kept telling them no, give me one more week, give me three more days, give me until tomorrow. Finally they had to strongly advise him to go home, and how can you disobey the mission president. So he was going home.  We all decided to give him a little sendoff. Our two Fijian districts all wrote him notes, and us sisters gathered leis to give him. We all gathered outside his residence and sang "God Be With You Til We Meet Again" in Fijian, and then gave him the notes and leis. There were tears and awkward handshakes and then we took pictures, and the next morning he was gone.  I have the utmost respect for him. He worked so hard to go on a mission, but the Lord had other plans for him. Maybe there is someone closer to home that he needs to find.  I will never judge a missionary for coming home early again. It takes bravery to admit to past sins and then repent of them. And there's nothing to be done about health problems.

Beyond that, I have been carrying on. Our teachers are all doing their best; this is the largest number of sisters they have ever had to teach, and they are beginning to realize that we are a whole different animal. We have feminine emotions hahaha. All of us have cried on different occasions because we've been frustrated with ourselves. It's baffling to the return missionaries that are our teachers. Cracks me up haha.
I still love it here. I still love all of you. I know that this church is true with ALL MY HEART and I am SO excited to go to Fiji to tell them all about it in whatever broken Fijian I can manage!
Tell all the visiting relatives that I love them and that I wish I could be there, but that I have other work to do :)
Moce Mada!
Sista Wright
PS Tell Sam a letter will be coming for his birthday but that it will probably arrive late. Also dad with his Father's Day card.


This is Sista Wright and her friend from BYU, Janessa.  She is serving in Rome.



 Sista Wright and Sister Pilimai
Besties pre-mish, and how fun that they can see each other in the MTC!  Sister Pilimai is serving in Spokane, WA

 Sista Wright and her companion, Sista T.  



No comments: