Thursday, June 6, 2013

Sista (haha) Wright's first letter.


BULA FAMILY!!! :)))
Holy cow, let me tell you, I have received more mail than any other missionary in my zone. Already three packages and at least a dozen Dear Elders. I am definitely feeling the love. Every time my DL goes to get our mail he comes back and says and ANOTHER letter for Sister Wright. THANK YOU! KEEP IT UP! 
So. My companion is named Sister Tuahivaatetonohiti. She is from Tahiti and speaks French, English, Spanish, German, and Tahitian, so Fijian is coming pretty quickly to her. I LOVE HER. She is so sweet and she is musical too, which is a plus! We are singing a musical number in church next Sunday. Every time she prays she says thank you for my wonderful companion, which makes me a little teary eyed :) I call myself her little daughter, because she is so much bigger than me! We get along so well, and I'm so grateful for her. 
This last week we have been teaching an 'investigator' named Luke, pronounced Lookay. IN FIJIAN. Holy cow. We taught him five lessons, and yesterday we committed him to baptism! We started cheering after he agreed to it, it was funny. Now we have to prepare for another investigator, and this time we are not allowed to use notes. SCARY. 
Out of all of my zone, I am having the hardest time with the language. I understand why the Lord sent me to a foreign speaking language. I needed to be humbled. Going to an English speaking mission would not have been humbling enough for me. I accept this. In the Preach My Gospel, it talks about how we are supposed to struggle with the language. This is kind of a comfort to me, because it means I am being inadvertently obedient haha. 
How bout I share my testimony in Fijian with you?
Au via wasea na noqu ivakadinadina. Au kila ni lomani eda na Kalou. Au vakadinadinataka ni parofita dina o Josefa Simici. Au vakadinadinataka ni parofita dina o Thomas S. Monson. Au kila ni bula o Jisu Karisito. Au vakadinadinataka ni dina na kosipeli i Jisu Karisito. Au vakadinadinataka ni dina na iVola i Momani. E na yacai Jisu Karisito, emeni.
That's obviously a short version of my testimony, but I don't have my notes with me so I had to write it by memory. Let me tell you, this language is so much different than anything I am familiar with. But I believe in the gift of tongues, because I have been here for barely a week and already I am teaching lessons in Fijian and bearing testimony in Fijian and saying prayers in Fijian. It is hard, but I know that it will come. I have faith. I just have to work hard and lean not on my own understanding. 
About my district: I LOVE THEM. We have two New Zealand elders that cuss from time to time because "in New Zealand they aren't cuss words" hahaha. We all get quiet when they do, and then they say "What?" and then we crack up laughing. We laugh so much. One of the New Zealand elders is Elder Motuliki. He is SO FUNNY. His companion is Elder Tenney, who is usually pretty serious, so they are a funny pair. Actually they are perfect, because they balance each other out. But Elder Motuliki is always trying to speak in an American accent, but its always nasally so he sounds like he is mocking us. One time he tried to say "Oh my lanta" but instead said "Oh my lantern" so now we all say that all the time haha. There is Elder Tenney and Elder Motuliki, Elder Moka and Elder Wall, and Sister Tuahivaatetonohiti and myself. Our teacher is Brother Crump. Brother Crump is amazing. He is 23, goes to BYU, and went to Fiji on his mission. His language is perfect. It comforts me because that could be me someday! 
Elder Wall has a Fijian name, Elder Lologa. My Fijian name is Sister iMatau. It means right as in the direction, but it could also mean ax. So I am Sister Ax. 
I want you all to know that I know that this Gospel is true. I know that I am in the right place, and that I am going to the right place. We talked about how the Lord called us to be missionaries in the pre-existence, and that the people that we are going to teach probably talked to us about it before any of us were even born. I know it is true. I love the Fijian people even more, especially now that I am surrounded by so many Polynesians. My zone is made up of Tongans and Samoans and Tahitians and one from Kidibus, or however you spell that. He doesn's speak English very well, but his Fijian is coming along very quickly. 
It is busy work, but rewarding. It is easy to get discouraged, but you can't let yourself get that way. That is Satan working on you. 
Some funny things: 
Every time I brush my teeth and make myself gag, I think of Sophie.
All of the toilet paper rolls in the ENTIRE MTC are upside down. Makes me want to pull my hair out hahaha.
Guess what sister is in Fijian! Sista! So it is hilarious that that is what I changed my Facebook name to haha.
Sierra is here! We crushed each other in a hug when we saw each other at dinner yesterday. 
I miss you all but I haven't gotten homesick, which is a blessing. I am just too busy to be homesick. 
Family in Fijian is matavuvale. Eternal family is tawamudu na matavuvale. 
You are my favorite people in the world, and I will try to get letters written to each of you, but usually I have to choose between writing a letter and writing in my journal.Tough choice!
Be good, keep writing. I am so grateful for you all. I know that God will bless you. I feel like those blessings have already started. 
Au lomani iko!!!
Sista iMatau
 With my companion, Sister Tuahivaatetonohiti. 
 The other sisters in this picture are Sister Trammel, who knows the Hanshaws, and Sister Crowell, who is Hawaiian. They are our roommates and are in our zone. Love them. 


 The one where we are sniffing the tree, that tree supposedly smells like orange cream soda. Everyone kept telling us to smell it. So finally I did, and it smelled like a tree... haha.

No comments: